Thursday 27 December 2012

The most wonderful time of the year....

xxx Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! xxx


Although this was a bit of a weird & not-so-happy Christmas for our family.. I figure I'd share a few of my favourite things about Christmas in general!

1. Food & Drink

Let's just cut to the chase... the reason why we all love Christmas is the overindulgence of EVERYTHING. My favourite food item at Christmas is potato stuffing... oh my goodness, it is AMAZING! Plus it's a family recipe so it is extra-scrumptious :D  And then there is the drink.. the copious amounts of drink that is consumed in Ireland over the festive season is legendary! For instance, below is my drink supply for Christmas - excluding Baileys and wine for dinner! :P

2. The Weather

This year was kind of mild in comparison to how it usually is but I like the cold and windy weather that we usually get. I love wrapping up warm at Christmas with big scarves, hats, gloves and furry boots. And I love curling up in bed with my duvet, blanket and fleecy pjs watching my favourite Christmas movies on the laptop.


3. The films


Kids films are always the best!
I'll always remember An American Tail being shown on RTE every Christmas morning for years!! Haven't seen it in yonks now though... wonder what happened to it!

4. Midnight Mass

As most people who follow this blog will know... I'm not exactly the religious kind! But there is something about midnight mass that feels somewhat special.. Going to mass late at night, everyone huddled together in the pews and the usual caroling service that is held in the church before mass. Perhaps the reason why I like midnight mass so much is the caroling service...!!

5. The Music

I love Christmas music and carols. My all time favourite Christmas carol is a not-so-well-known one. It's a song that my choir used to perform. The men would sing Silent night under us women singing Night of Silence. Quiet hard to find a good recording of it on youtube.. this is the only recording of where they sing one over the other... yet they only do one verse of Night of Silence (there is three in total if you want to check out the whole song.. it's really pretty!)


My second favourite carol is O Holy Night 


And now to the mainstream Christmas music.. here are a few of my favourites.. Enjoy and have a good Christmas :) xx






And finally... the most loved Christmas song of all time.. HANDS DOWN... 

Ho Ho Ho  ; ) 
xXx



2 comments:

  1. Love it :)
    And really sorry for your loss, hope you have an amazing 2013 because you deserve it Niamh xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw shucks... thanks Davey! hopefully I'll be in Oz next Christmas.. all going well!

      Delete